gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS not showing in gpsmon/gpsd on RPi 3

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PPS not showing in gpsmon/gpsd on RPi 3
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 13:52:27 -0700

address@hidden said:
> It's obvious why the TIOCMIWAIT isn't working.  What's unobvious is why KPPS
> isn't.  The ppstest result seems to tell us that the RFC2783 interface is
> up.  My conclusion is that the GPSD code is failing to use it correctly
> because of something specific to Pi3/Jessie.

It's not specific to the 3 or Jessie part of the setup.  The critical idea is
that GPIO#<x> isn't linked to /dev/tty<y> in any way.

ppstest works because you tell it which /dev/pps<x> to use.  ntpd works
because you have to tell it which pps goes with which serial port with config
files and links in the file system.

We could potentially "fix" things if an available GPIO pin is wired within the
chip to the right modem control signal on that serial port.  I don't plan to
spend any time on that.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.