gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Baud barf problem on Pi3 SOLVED

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Baud barf problem on Pi3 SOLVED
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 21:50:38 +0200

hi Gary!

>> The major pain at the moment is that too many programs are still stuck
>> with sysv init scripts.
>
> Thus the newbie mistake of failing to ensure back compatibility.  Programmers
> that say 'my way or the highway' are not my friends.

oh, I did not say its not perfectly backward compatible, actually it is.
But it is much more annoying to fight with shell snippets and files
which are sourced from somewhere than to configure a systemd service.
Also systemd comes with a lot of features one wants to have, which are
not supported by these programs yet.

>> You might want to read
>> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html - it sounds a
>> bit  like a blog post to play bullshit bingo with, but Lennart is
>> actually right.
>
> Just read it.  Wow, that was depressing...
>
> "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
>
> I have personal experience that several things he says are true.
>
>>> I can see why for support reasons Ubuntu wants to inflict
>>> inflexibility on its users, but any hacker will feel trappped.
>>>
>>> Newbies gotta start somewhere, but not in the init system.
>>
>> Lennart is definitely not a newbie. He might have strong opions about
>> how things need to be done, but he is creating and/or contributing to
>> open-source-projects for years.
>
> OK, so maybe more Dunning-Kruger?

I don't think so.

>> https://codesearch.debian.net/results/poettering/page_0