gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RaspbPi HOWTO

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RaspbPi HOWTO
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 17:51:31 -0400

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:

> address@hidden said:
> > Accordingly, I'll be extending the breadth of the HOWTO to cover more
> > hardware - not just two additional HATs but the Odroid C2 as well and
> > probably the BeagleBone Black later.
>
> Could you please say a bit more about that area?
>
> There are a lot of small Pi-like ARM boards.  How did you pick the Odroid C2?

I heard reports that it's HAT-compatible.  That makes it low-hanging fruit.

>  How many other boards did you consider?  How many of them will be around for
> a while?  How many of them have serious software support?

So far, besides those already mentioned, looking at the CHIP and the
Beaglebone.  Some hackerspace dudes I was hanging out with at Penguicon
gave me a BeagleBone Black.

I don't know that I can predict which of these will last. I figure anything
that can boot Linux has "serious software support" for my purposes.

> How much will supporting other boards add to the clutter of a HOWTO?

Any HAT, almost none.  The variations for those are just entries in two
tables.

The ODroid and anything else HAT-compatible, not much.  The BB and CHIP
will add some clutter, but I'm not planning to do those immediately

I'm paying very careful attention to which things are invariant over what
range of hardware.  One of my challenges is to factor everything so the
bulk of the HOWTO is invariant.  This percentage can be puahed pretty
high because Unix is Unix.