gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RaspbPi HOWTO

From: Frank
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RaspbPi HOWTO
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 08:59:41 -0400

On May 4, 2016, at 8:41 PM, Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

On Tue, 3 May 2016, Frank Nicholas wrote:

With regards to WiFi, if I ping a Pi, sometimes 1-3 pings fail, before
the WiFi seems to "wake up".  I’ve not been able to track this down to
a chipset or USB specific (it happens on the Pi 3, with built-in
Broadcom WiFi).  All my scripts that automate things with my Pi’s that
are on WiFi, start with a “ping -c 4 -q $host”.  ALWAYS by the 4th
ping, the Pi is responding.  With the Ethernet, always by the 2nd ping,
the Pi is responding.

Aside from the wakeup issue, the latency on WiFi is typically horrible and
inconsistent, making it a terrible choice for connecting a time server.

The single-packet drop in the wired case is probably due to ARP.  When
there's no ARP cache entry for the destination, typical practice is to
send an ARP request *instead of* the IP packet that it was trying to send
(hoping to get a response before the retransmission).

The above wasn’t mentioned to suggest a Pi should be used on WiFi for NTP.  I was just explaining that I have had no issues with using USB & WiFi on several Pi’s.  Understood & agreed regarding the single ping loss on wired Ethernet.