gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 10:36:41 -0700

Yo Frank!

On Thu, 5 May 2016 13:14:34 -0400
Frank <address@hidden> wrote:

> See this page:  https://www.ntpsec.org/removal-plan.html
> <https://www.ntpsec.org/removal-plan.html>
> 2.  Duplicates capabilities of GPSD, which specializes in GPSes.
> Types 20, 29, 30, 31. .
> .
> Thus, we plan to remove the following refclock drivers:
> .
> .
> Type 20: Generic NMEA GPS Receiver (NMEA)

As much as I prefer, and defend, the gpsd/ntpd combo, I also understand
there is resistance from a lot of people that want to keep things
really simple.  Strong resistance.  Based on good reasons.

And I have to say the current gpsd/ntpd handshake is just not very good
right now.  The GPSD NG driver has seriously bad bahavior by default
and the SHM driver depends on a deprecated syscall.

In both the above cases let's not make the best solution get in the way
of the good enough one.

gpsd really shines for standalone, non-network time keeping, and that is
where ntpd, by design, sucks.  So until a good working handshake is
rock solid, and standalone is well supported, I say keep 20.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588