gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 16:30:02 -0400

> On May 5, 2016, at 3:45 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Frank <address@hidden>:
>> dhcpcd will “merge” DHCP supplied NTP servers at the bottom of a ntp.conf.
>> This has not caused me any issues (on Gentoo).  NTP generally does the
>> “right” things and uses all the NTP servers in the config & will decide the
>> local server, with PPS is the best.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this comment. Are you saying that a dhcpd hpook
> modifies /etc/ntp.conf?
> --

Correct - it adds the DHCP supplied NTP servers to the bottom of the existing
“/etc/ntp.conf” file (surrounded by comments).

NTP (on my systems) functions ok & will just use the additional NTP servers.
It will decide that the local server (GPS w/PPS) is the best & use it.  No harm
done.

Thanks,
Frank