gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 17:41:51 -0400

# ./gpsmon /dev/ttyAMA0

Running gpsmon should give you a nice panel display with a scrolling
window at the bottom showing the raw data and a top section showing
the analyzed fix and time to the second.

If you have a fix, you should also see bars denoting 1PPS once per
second between sentence bursts.  If you have a fix and *don't* see
these, most likely you have forgotten to go root before running
gpsmon.

I have a solid fix with 8 x satellites in view.  On my development Pi 2, I always run as root.

The above does not show PPS.  I wouldn’t expect it to - how does `gpsmon` know which device to use for PPS?

I have the following PPS devices that do work with `ppstest`:
dev2-rpi gpsd # ls -l /dev/*pps*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      4 May  5 15:13 /dev/gpspps0 -> pps0
crw-rw---- 1 root tty  244, 0 May  5 15:13 /dev/pps0

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Frank