gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 18:49:05 -0700

Yo Norton!

On Thu, 5 May 2016 21:24:34 -0400
Norton Allen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I know SHM is not portable to QNX, which has shm_open() POSIX 1003.1.

A cut/paste of the SHM refclock would be easy.  If NTPsec did it I
would add it to gpsd.

> I am still hoping to work on getting gpsd+PPS-SHM working, but have
> been sidetracked by other work. But that leaves me with refclock #46,
> and it sounds from the discussion here as though that is essentially
> deprecated. And yes, my intent is to get both time and position,
> which is why gpsd is in the mix.

Hard to call it deprecated when it never worked properly.  I could never
get it to work reliably, and the default configuration is dreadful.

It could be fixed, having it different than the NTPD refclock of the same
number would confuse everyone.

> > Rather than bump up to shm_open(), I'd like to add sockets.  Chronyd
> > uses sockets as an optional alternative to SHM.  This is more
> > flexible, more secure, and allows the consumer to wait for data
> > instead of polling.  Any process that can write to SHM can smash
> > the clock.  It does make things like ntpshmmon impossible.
> sockets sounds like a good option.

Works for chrony.  Not a rush.

RGDS
GARY