gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Baud barf problem on Pi3 SOLVED

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Baud barf problem on Pi3 SOLVED
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 20:51:20 +0200

On 05/05/2016 08:01 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>> Hmm, that brings me back to: read the documentation first. In Debian
>> the sytemd guys are happy to help.
>
> Except those that forked to Devuan.

Yes, of course, they are not part of Debian. Actually afaik none of the
Devuan people was ever active in Debian.

>>> Since it is easy, maybe you can fix, and document the gpsd
>>> service?
>>
>> I still do not know what the bug is that needs fixing.
>> So far I did not yet receive a single bug report in Debian.
>
> Since Debian does not support any recent gpsd, we find no use in sending
> bug reports.  Recent gpsd should speak for itself.

Use Debian testing than. It got its name for a reason.
Also if gpsd would have a sane stable release plan - like other sane
projets, there would be updates in Debian stable, too.

So you are complaining about bugs, but you are not sending bug reports.
You are complaining that Debian ships too old versions, but you fail to
help to test them during the long time while testing is not frozen.

I think I can help you by removing gpsd from Debian.

>> And to be
>> hones, I'm not keen on figuring out what the differences between
>> Raspbian and Debian are to see what needs to be changed in Debian to
>> get the issues fixed in Raspbian.
>
> Getting Raspbian help is also a problem for us, like the known broken
> Raspbian gpsd startup stripts in Wheezy.

See above. If things are broken in Debian, how do you expect that things
are not broken in Distributions that are based on Debian. Raspian at
least uses large parts of stable, but Ubuntu takes the packages at some
random time I don't even know.

>> Afaik it works just fine for the
>> Fedora people and at least in testing/unstable (that is what I test
>> and use - and what should be stable at some point) I did not run into
>> problems.
>
> Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

see above. Report bugs, stop whining.

[....]
> I have found many a bug by grabbing ascii fragments off a
> crashing/crashed host/disk.  I can't imagine how much harder to grep the
> raw disk sectors for binary log data...

As mentioned before, use the normal syslog then.

>>> Oh, I was expecting a web page, that is just code search results.
>>> You can get a zillion hits on that by one commit.  Then your name
>>> appears in all further revisions for all time.
>>
>> Oh, the Debian one is a different kind of code search, it takes the
>> source from packages in Debian - you could click on the
>> group-by-package button... Also we hopefully do not have code copies
>> in Debian, if so, it would be a policy violation....
>
> Either way, useless data for this purpose.  The problem is systemd itself.

The problem with systemd is that people like you are stubborn and stuck
in their 1950s world. Please move on.