gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Detecting Raspberry Pi Hat & PPS

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Detecting Raspberry Pi Hat & PPS
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 15:40:46 -0400

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> You ALWAYS need the -n.  I have complained to Eric about this for years.
>
> gpsd does nothing without -n, until a client connects, but with a time
> server you do not expect to see a client.  This is by (flawed) design.
>
> I'll not go into the bad data that led to this bad decision.

It's a consequence of our original use case, hotplugged devices on laptops.
We wanted to save power by only opening devices as needed.

I guess at this point I'd be willing to change the config so that if
socket_export us disabled (e.g. there are no client sessions) nowait is
forced on.

Gary, would that address your complaints?