gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 13:06:51 -0700

address@hidden said:
> Would refclockd be a part of NTP?  If so, I’d be ok with that.  I just have
> no need for GPSd on a pure time server.

I use "refclockd" as a tag to describe a great cleanup.  I haven't seen a
serious proposal so there aren't any details to discuss.

Moving the code that understands refclocks to a separate address space should
improve security.

> How portable is “SHM”?  Is it covered everywhere NTPSec wants to go?  Is
> GPSd portable to everywhere NTPSec wants to go? (I’m asking, not arguing - I
> don’t know the answers).

Any cleanup to the SHM area should set things up so that the reader side
doesn't need write access.  That allows multiple readers so you can use
monitoring tools while ntpd is running.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.