gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Stable release plan

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] [gpsd-users] Stable release plan
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 14:03:23 -0700

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 06 May 2016 13:49:43 -0700
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> There are two types of projects.  I'll call them production and
> research.

I would posit three, or maybe two and a hybrid.  The third would
be Gentoo.

> In a research project, the idea is full speed ahead and release when
> it works.

This would be Gentoo unstable.  It usually works, but occasionally needs
TLC.  Pretty much only upstream releases, plus emergency patches.  Way
better than running developers nightlies or git heads.

I run this on my personal machines.  Daily updates.  I always get
linux kernel updates, openssl updates, openssh updates in hours.  The
things that scare me.  Other things, like new gcc or glibc gets more
testing before going into unstable.

> In a production environment, you have users.  You need to coordinate
> updates with them.

That would be gentoo stable.  I run this on my production servers.
Critical updates, like openssl and openssh, are updated within a day.
Other things, like non-critical apache, maybe every 6 months.

When gpsd goes to a new revision, some Gentoo devs play with it, see
what it broke in other packages, when they feel good about it they
put it in unstable.

When that gpsd has been running for a while, bugs reports have been
delt with, and the stable people ask for it, then that unstable gpsd
gets promoated to stable.  Several unstable gpsd's may be used before
there is consensus on making one of them a stable release.

Nothing is inflicted on the admin, he can pick and chose for his
erers what he considers stable and unstable.

Yes, this requires the sysadmins to be on their toes.  OTOH, you don't
wait years for fixes to known and unknown security bugs, or for cool
new features.  Unless you want to.

I prefer this to the typical one-sie-fits-all distro.  YMMV.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588