gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] New 0.5 draft of the SemPiTernal HOWTO
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 19:11:56 -0400

> On May 9, 2016, at 7:03 PM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> We see a lot of users that do not remove the stock gpsd and ntpd when they
> install gpsd and ntpd from source.  That way they can compage the old and
> the new before going all in to source compiled versions.  Or they are
> just too lazy...
>
> Just in the last week several users have had this problem, got confused, and
> complained to the gpsd lists.

Understood - I've subscribed to the the list since early 2000’s, and remember
the recent complaint.

The reason I suggested it was part of the package & removed by removing the
package is because I Eric’s How To has steps for removing Debian NTP.  (GPSd is
not installed by default.)

Maybe he just needs to add a note that if the pre-installed NTP is not removed,
his How To will fail.  Same applies to gpsd - if they have tested gpsd from
Debian, they need to remove it or the How To will fail.

Thanks,
Frank