gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Stratum 1 Microserver HOWTO is up

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Stratum 1 Microserver HOWTO is up
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 10:30:10 -0700

[pool limit of 100 ms]

address@hidden said:
> That's weird.  Why would they have a precision requirement *above* RFC5905's
> "A few tens of milliseconds"?  You'd think they'd want it to be below that.

If you want time in the range of 10s of ms, you need to select the servers you
use.  With something like the pool, you are likely to get a server on the other
side of the country with associated routing quirks.

I think the goal of the pool project has always been good-enough rather than
great accuracy.  100 seems like a reasonable cutoff point to me.  What did you
have in mind?

Another consideration is that there is only one monitoring station.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.