gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] scons check - gpsd:ERROR: SER: error setting port attribu

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] scons check - gpsd:ERROR: SER: error setting port attributes: Invalid argument
Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 14:12:29 -0700

Yo Jason!

On Mon, 23 May 2016 16:51:32 -0400
Jason Azze <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden>
> wrote:
> >
> > Not reproducing here.  Can you replicate one of the failures under
> > gdb and show me the call stack at the time the message is emitted?
>
> I can't reproduce on Ubuntu 14.04, but I can on a CentOS 7.2 x86_64
> box here at work.

CentOS continues to be odd man out.  Can't figure out why anyone would ever
use it for anything.  the only credible reason I have heard is that it
has so few security updates that you can always tell the boss that your
CentOS is up to date.  This is not a good thing as it has the same bugs
as other distros.

> I'm not sure I'm doing what Eric has asked. I've never used gdb before
> and it took me a while to figure out what scons was doing during scons
> check. I chose the tn200 test as one of the many that are giving the
> error.

gdb is way ovber kill.  You just need to figure out why when gpsd is
fed from gpsfake that gpsd thinks it is using a tty.  Possibly bad
port type detection.

> gpsd:ERROR: SER: error setting port attributes: Invalid argument

That mean gpsd failed setting the baud rate on a pipe.  It should not
be trying to do that.

> Here's a sample of scons check output, snipped down.
>
> timespec tests succeeded
> :; /usr/bin/python ./gpsfake -T
> sys linux2 platform
> Linux-3.10.0-327.13.1.el7.x86_64-x86_64-with-centos-7.2.1511-Core:

Linux 3.10?  Seriously?  That is getting a tad old...  3 years old.  Any
way you can update?  Maybe to a kernel that is actually supported by
someone?

> WRITE_PAD = 0.00000
> ./regress-driver -q test/daemon/passthrough.log

regress-driver mostly calls gpsfake, which creates a pipe to a gpsd.

> Processing test/daemon/passthrough.log
> gpsd:ERROR: SER: error setting port attributes: Invalid argument

But gpsd thinks the pipe is a tty.  Possibly a glibc or kernel problem.

gpsfake is a Python thing, maybe esr can tell us more how that works, and
how it is different from a tty.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588