gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Wjy does gpsd need root

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Wjy does gpsd need root
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 10:56:12 -0700

Yo Hal!

On Tue, 24 May 2016 02:55:41 -0700
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> address@hidden said:
> > No way around the SHM(0) and SHM(1) restriction, but you can avoid
> > the others with skill full permission settings.
>
> Requiring root seems like a bad idea.

Which is why gpsd drops root quickly.

> Is there any good way to handle security on SHM?

I'm sure there is, but the current scheme is required by ntpd design.

So talk to those ntpd guys and get them to fix it...

I'm also pretty sure that setting the system clock requires root.  You
dont want just any old user to be able to set your clock, right?

Then, there are so many weird ways to set permissions on tty's that
we'd need to right a book on how to fix every variant to run gpsd
as non-root.

> > Yes, for SHM(0) and SHM(1).  Otherwise there is no safe and working
> > way to pass time to ntpd.
>
> JSON?

As I said 'no working way'.  As currently documented the GPSD_JSON driver
is broken.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588