gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Stratum 1 Microserver HOWTO is up

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Stratum 1 Microserver HOWTO is up
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 15:28:43 -0700

The parts list should probably mention power.  You either need a wall-wart
type unit or a USB A-to-micro-B cable and a place to plug it in to steal
power.

I think the "Download the 2016-03-18 Raspbian Lite image zip file to your host"
step should have a wget line that can be cut-pasted.

"If you used clockmaker --build, ddimage will have been downloaded"
  That's the first mention of clockmaker.

On the sdd mess.  What I do, is check the tail of /var/log/messages to see what
devices appeared when I pluged it in, then chown me:me /dev/sdX, then do the dd
as non-root.  That way I have to fat-finger two steps to trash something.

"Note: this can take a while."  My SD-to-USB box has a LED that blinks when
active.

"If that doesn\u2019t work, attach a physical keyboard and display..."
I think it would help to have some introductory remarks about normally
not-needing a display or keyboard and/or the parts needed if you do want to use
them.

"If you have not downloaded clockmaker, refer.."  That's only a few lines
above.  I assume you rearranged some things and that didn't get updated.

The line before "systemctl disable hciuart" is confusing.  The "this" doesn't
make sense.

"Configure the 1PPS GPIO pin =="
Still == on the end.

You don't need a good sky view for the first part of the smoke test.

"The prerequisites not present..."
I find the whole clockmaker stuff confusing.  I'm not sure why.  I think you
are trying to describe both how to do it without clockmaker and also what
clockmaker would do.  Maybe what's missing is something like:
  run clockmaker --config
  it will do the following steps, or you can do them by hand

"with two local devices and four pool sources"
The previous ntpq printout shows 3 "good" servers.

See my previous comments about actually using the pool command.

"repository clones live and install"
  live => live in

"You can choose to configure the SBC to use a fixed, static IP address.."

The whole goal was to setup a NTP server.  How are you going to use it without
a static IP Address?  (We could discuss that, but you probably don't want to go
down that rathole.)

"We provide a script called pinup that makes..."
Where did it come from?

The 4th reference has a [ but no following mumble]

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.