gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] HOWTO: Security

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] HOWTO: Security
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 02:15:10 -0700

address@hidden said:
>> OCXOs are big, power hungry, and expensive.  Why do you want one?
> To minimize drift during loss of sat lock, of course.

Do you have any idea how big a can of worms you are opening?

Low end OCXOs will double the cost of Pi type setup.  Good ones cost a lot
more.

How long do you want to run without satellites?  How much clock drift are you
willing to tolerate?  What is the temperature range of your environment?

How many are you going to buy?  Do you want a few for hacking where we can
use eBay parts to trade time for $$, or are you willing to pay for commercial
parts that will probably meet specs and you can get more of them if you want
to build another batch?

Who is your target customer?  Why would they buy from you rather than from
Microsemi?
  http://www.microsemi.com/products/timing-synchronization-systems/time-freque
ncy-distribution/network-appliances-servers/syncserver/syncserver-s600

I repeat my suggestion of designing in a connector for an external clock so
we can get off the ground and prototype fancy options.

If you are looking at data sheets, you don't need accuracy.  ntpd can correct
for that.  You want stability.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.