gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Stratum 1 Microserver HOWTO is up

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Draft Stratum 1 Microserver HOWTO is up
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 11:20:17 -0400

Hal Murray <address@hidden>:

> address@hidden said:
> > One of the HOWTO's premises is that you have zeroconf. If you're only going
> > to use it on your LAN, not make it public, you can get away with giving a
> > .local address in your other configs. I'll add a clarification.
>
> I thought part of the goal was to get more pool servers.  That needs a fixed
> IP Address.

That is part of the goal, indeed.  But the procedure for becoming a pool server,
and its requirements (such as a static address) are not presently in scope
for this HOWTO.  I think we're accomplishing enough if we get the reader from
a pile of parts to a working Stratum 1 for his LAN.

> I thought you avoided needing zeroconf by requiring a display and
> kbd on the SBC.

That possibility was in play at one time.  I went the other direction -
requiring zeroconf but not a display+keyboard after the first password
change - because it seemed to simplify both the exposition and the
procedure a lot.

That was a judgment call, and I could be talked out of it.  I think
zeroconf is ubiquitous enough on our main target platforms to make
it the right way to jump, but I'm open to evidence otherwise.

> If you are assuming zeroconf, I think that should be pointed out very early.

Well, it does say: "If that doesn't work, attach a physical keyboard
and display to the SBC and figure out the assigned address with the
"ip a" command."

> Are there any other assumptions that might not be obvious?

That's a very good question, innit?  The answer is - not obvious.