gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GR-701W hangs on Pi-3

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GR-701W hangs on Pi-3
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 19:07:27 -0400

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 5:43 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
>>> Do you trust your power? The Pi 3 is even more picky than the Pi 2.
>>
>> The Pi people say 2 amps is not good enough, they recommend 2.5A.
>
> Gary, I've digested your remarks and my experirnce into a new section on
> power:
>
>   == Clean power is important ==

I’m not sure the power is “dirty”, just not adequate.

>   Hackerboards like the Pi, Odroid, and Beaglebone are picky about
>   getting clean power because they're designed for lowest cost.  Power
>   regulation is expensive compared to logic gates, and this is one of
>   the corners they cut.  Under-voltage or under-wattage can cause

I don’t think the issue is that the board designers cut cost - there’s power
regulation on the boards.

The issue is that the there are a lot of crappy power supplies that don’t come
close to putting out the volts/amps/watts that they are rated for.  The **Power
Supplies** are made with cost cutting measures and/or false
marking/advertising.

Best to buy a power supply from a board reseller, that the reseller “qualifies”
or recommends for the board.