gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GR-701W hangs on Pi-3

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GR-701W hangs on Pi-3
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 16:42:15 -0700

Yo Eric!

On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 17:43:03 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary, I've digested your remarks and my experirnce into a new section
> on power:

[...]

>    Hackerboards like the Pi, Odroid, and Beaglebone are picky about
>    getting clean power because they're designed for lowest cost.

As previously mentioned, the RasPi has on boardregulators.  The problem is
mostly high power.

> I've had good results with a powered hub from Anker, the
> class act in USB equipment;

I'm happy with my Anker stuff.  Tronsmart is equally good.

>    Anecdotal evidence says you can run a Pi 3 on 4.8V but less is a
>    problem.  Running headless (without a mouse, keyboard or display)
> abd without a HAT, a Pi 3 will draw about 700mW, but peripherals
                                            700mA (not watt)

5Volts * 700 mAmps is 3.5 Watt

5Volts * 2.5 Amps is 12.5 Watt

> Anything to add to that?

Looks good.

> I'm adding one of those cheap USB V/A meters to the test farm
> equipment.  Seems like one of those things you'll never need until you
> *really need it*.

Or rather, you are unaware you need it until you really need it.

Prolly two detailed for the Howto, but FYI:

Since you are buying a meter.  There are a few accessories that are
helpfull.  The meters are old USB B connnectors.  So they can only go
on the Hub/Power Supply end of the cable.  To know the voltage at
the far end of the cable you need to guess the AWG and calculate
voltage drop.

I have microUSB to USB adapter so I can put the meter at the far
end of the cable.  Then a really short USB to micro USB adapter to
attach to the RasPi.  Then I am measureing the Voltage at the Pi.

Here is a kit with the micro USB female to USB A female.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA39V4619592&cm_re=micro_USB_adapter_male_female-_-9SIA39V4619592-_-Product

Here is a USB A female to micro USB male:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50M2U17354&cm_re=micro_USB_adapter_male_female-_-9SIA50M2U17354-_-Product

Attached is a phot of the mess.  You can also see the heat sink I added
to the CPU.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588