gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GR-701W hangs on Pi-3

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GR-701W hangs on Pi-3
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 22:30:23 -0700

address@hidden said:
> Do you trust your power? The Pi 3 is even more picky than the Pi 2.

Thanks.  That could be the problem.  Meter says 4.8V.  I didn't get out a
scope to look for dips below that.

address@hidden said:
> Everyone should have a USB V/A meter, they are cheap.  Here is one for $6:

Beware.  Inserting a current meter will actually drop the voltage you get.
You should probably get a real meter to see if the USB meter is showing the
high side or low side of the current measuring resistor.

address@hidden said:
> The Pi people say 2 amps is not good enough, they recommend 2.5A.

That depends upon the stuff you plug into your Pi.  With a regulated supply,
it doesn't help to have one with a higher current rating.  It might run
cooler.

In theory, each USB port can ask for 500 mA.  I don't know how much the Pi
will give out.  Then you can plug in a HAT...

Adafruit says their wall wart style power supplies targeted at the Pi
actually set the output voltage at 5.25 to give a little more room after the
end of the cable.

> I have a USB Volt/Amp meter on my Pi3, never seen it pull more than 700 mA
> while compiling a kernel, and running gpsd, ntpd and the GR-601W.

> 28AWG is 0.064 ohms per foot.  Double that for out and back to 0.128 ohms/ft
> of USB cable.

0.128 * 3 * 0.7 is 0.268 V.  So if you start with 5V, you will be under 4.8.

Adafruit also has 6 inch cables.  :)

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.