gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] refclock 28 gone wacky on me

From: Mike
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] refclock 28 gone wacky on me
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 17:46:48 -0400

On 06/19/2016 04:23 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Mike!

`

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 15:59:16 -0400
Mike <address@hidden> wrote:

On 06/10/2016 03:17 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Eric!

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 03:49:22 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:
That's... very weird.  I've never seen it happen.
But it would explain some old complaints.

Now that we know which Skytraq option it is, I recall always
selecting the workaround.
It sounds as though for some crazy reason the GPS is delivering the
PPS pulse late.
Not late, as such.  Late in the second, but the time stamp of the
fix (xxX.940) is pretty close to when actually sent.
I'm hard put to imagine how gpsmon could screw this up.
Or Hal with his O-scope.

RGDS
GARY
I'm seeing this happen now, PPS is good NMEA is off nearly half a
sec...  NMEA delivery viewed in gpsmon is 0.011 after top of second.

*SHM(1)          .PPS.            0 l   10   16  377    0.000 -0.002   0.004
-SHM(0)          .GPS.            0 l    9   16 377    0.000 -496.59 6.661
Looking good.  Now add a 0.500 fudge to your ntp.conf.  Like this:

     server 127.127.28.0
     fudge 127.127.28.0 time1 0.500  refid GPS

What do your other chimers in 'ntpq -p show'?  Youu still have not confirmmed
which PPS edge you are on.  The leading or trailing.

RGDS
GARY
Gary,

I'll likely put an arrow through this module before I'm able to get a scope hooked up too it! So leading or trailing is a coin toss at this point.

I should have elaborated more I guess. I had everything sailing along nicely. Went off on a tangent with the rpi and left the module unpowered for a few days. Its battery was still plugged in and came backup as expected when I powered it all on again. At that point NMEA deliver was really late, as in > .940 that I was seeing earlier. I wasn't real pleased and figured I'd have to reset the setting to get the NMEA delivery back to top of second. Left is alone for several hours, come back and gpsmon shows that I was back to getting delivery close to the top of second again.

At that point PPS looks good, NMEA is way out, where before I had powered the module down is was looking pretty good. I'll probably have to pull that info from the statistics if it's really relevant. I get that I can fudge out the difference shown above. One shouldn't have to do that every time something is powered off though.

I believe that the ntpshmmon output was showing that PPS is picking up the first seen and NMEA is picking up the second. There is 4 per second in the output that I posted. And the time is off by approximately the offset above. Or am I mis-reading the output that bad?

Mike