gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘Patch queue is empty?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘Patch queue is empty?
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 20:02:02 -0700

Yo Mike!

On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 22:44:28 -0400
Mike <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 07/18/2016 09:37 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
> >> So, open call, anything we should get changed before September?
> > What happened to the tangle with the Venus chip that starts sending
> > just before the top of second getting mixed up with PPS?
> I believe that was my issue.  I have figured out how to set it (Venus
> 6 chip) so that the output is much closer to the top of the second.
> If memory serves it was coming in around xx.941 or so. Occasionally
> it seems to drift one way or the other.  My take is it's not a great
> piece of hardware.  Perhaps the firmware is buggy? Been trying to
> just let it run and collect some logs to see what the out come is.

Yeah, the Venus 6 is getting a bit old, but it should be not too bad.

The Skytraq Windows tool leets you set the top of second mode and
set it into flash memory.  So a one time thing.

You can download the 'GNSS Viewer Program' here:
        http://navspark.mybigcommerce.com/resources/

Hmm, looking at the Venus 6 binary commands, I do not see the
way to force the top of second mode.  It must be in later firmware:

https://dlnmh9ip6v2uc.cloudfront.net/datasheets/Sensors/GPS/AN0003_v1.4.19.pdf

So this part will need to hard solution.  I guess if the GPS serial
time is stamped after say: 850 milliSeconds, wait 500 milliseconds to
set the PPS base time (+1).

Patches welcome.

RGDS
GARY