gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq Venus 6 config, Was: ✘Patch queue is empty?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq Venus 6 config, Was: ✘Patch queue is empty?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 10:15:18 -0700

Yo Mike!

On Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:08:11 -0400
Mike <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> I searched for quite some time looking for a way using something
> >> other than Windows to configure this module.
> >> Here is the only real attempt that I found.
> >>
> >> _https://github.com/r0ro/skytraq
> > Someone that cares should roll the few important parts into gpsctl.
> >
> > On my list, but not very high up.
> Probably not surprising I'm rather confused here!  Should gpsctl see
> that I have a Skytraq device?

It should.  But I just added Skytraq to git head for next release, and I
did not get to checking/fixing gpsctl yet.

> /dev/ttyAMA0 identified as a NMEA0183 at 38400 baud.

Well, when the Skytraq is NMEA mode it takes a while to go from
NMEA0183 to Skytraq,  That needs to be looked at.

> I see now indication looking through the output that gpsctl even
> tried to identify a Skytraq device.

Yeah, and it shoulda worked, but new and untested.  You are on git head,
right?  You likely are if you saw anything Skytraq related.

> Am I missing something painfully obvious?

No, the code is likely missing something painfully obvious.  Certainly
untested, and should be before next release.

gpsctl need to detect Skytraq, set from nmea to binary modes and back, and
send arbitrary commands.  Then fancy stuff can be added.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588