gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq Venus 6 config, Was: ✘Patch queue is empty?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Skytraq Venus 6 config, Was: ✘Patch queue is empty?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 12:28:16 -0700

Yo Mike!

On Thu, 21 Jul 2016 15:21:15 -0400
Mike <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Can you update your firmware?  Not all Venus has FLASH.
> According to the datasheet I have on this, it doesn't have flash
> memory.  Haven't a clue if an update is available or if I could even
> update this thing.

Skytraq has been know to swap out old chips.  So complain to them.

> > Yes, not as documented.  Send a trace file to SkyTraq, they are
> > real good at fixing bugs like that.
> Okay, that removes my question on that one.  I'll try and contact
> them on this and see if it goes anywhere.

address@hidden is usually very responsive, considering their
time zone.

> I question if it's worth the effort.  As you've stated before the 6
> is getting rather dated.  In all my searching for info on Venus 6
> it's nearly all related to getting the logging data.  Nearly none
> related to time service.  Once I got over having to deal with sending
> the binary data, it really isn't that hard.  Change the PPS setting,
> baud rate, and I shouldn't have to touch it again.  I really believe
> that this particular device is a corner case that isn't in heavy
> use.  Perhaps there are still enough of the Sparkfun board floating
> around to make it worthwhile.

My list for a long time has had the task to improve gpsctl to send
SkyTraq commands.  This exact one not so much, but others, like speed
setting, base/rover mode, etc. will be valuable even for new chips.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588