gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘CEP(50) 0.285 metersMime-Version: 1.0

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘CEP(50) 0.285 metersMime-Version: 1.0
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:59:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 15:11:37 -0700 (PDT)
> Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > If you are working with LAT/LON, they have a known range.  You can
> > > convert to long/bignum with manual scaling.
> >
> > And note that long double is the same as double on ARM.
>
> Gack...  So much for standards.

Well, there is no real "standard" for long double, other than the C/C++
standards, which merely say that it's at least as good as a double and may
or may not be better.

But note that the circumference of the Earth is ~4E7m, or ~4E10mm, which
is still comfortable in the 52-bit mantissa of a double.

Fred Wright