gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Warnings on 32 bit Fedora 24

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Warnings on 32 bit Fedora 24
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 14:21:13 -0700

[Context is scons install rebuilding stuff.]

> No, but one possibility is discrepancies between root and non-root
> environments.  Presumably you're building as non-root and installing as
> root.

If scons doesn't control all relevant parts of the environment, then you and
I can accidentally build different versions even if we are using the same
distro.  That would make tracking bugs "interesting".

> BTW, building as root and then later trying to build as non-root can be a
> complete mess, since some of scons's internal files wind up being owned by
> root and not modifiable by the non-root build.

Been there.  I have a script to do the install.  It includes a chmod -R to
fix things up.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.