gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd/ntpd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd/ntpd
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:07:47 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Fri, 29 Jul 2016 11:48:00 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Now the only thing I am struggeling with is that I need to edit
> > (linechange or something) ntp.conf file and restart ntp after
> > boot.
>
> If you mean that you need to edit ntp.conf on every boot, I would be
> very surprised if that were actually true.

If that is his problem, it is a common one.  Some dhcp clients insist
on changing ntp.conf on every reboot.  Simple fix, stifle the dhcp client,
or make the ntp.conf file immutable.

> As far as restarting ntpd goes, that *may* be necessary, but it also
> may be that you're just not sufficiently patient.

Restarting ntpd when it is PPS synced is a bad idea.  It can take days
for the local clock to settle down.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588