gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd/ntpd

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd/ntpd
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 13:28:33 -0700

address@hidden said:
> If that is his problem, it is a common one.  Some dhcp clients insist on
> changing ntp.conf on every reboot.  Simple fix, stifle the dhcp client, or
> make the ntp.conf file immutable.

We should collect the places where DHCP screws things up and document it
someplace.

A variation on reboot is a laptop recovering from lid-closed.

The details probably vary with OS/distro.

I have a note that references:
  /etc/dhcp/dhclient-exit-hooks.d/ntp
I think that's on Debian

I'm pretty sure I've inserted an "exit" near the top of something like that.

Another note references /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp
There is code (on Debian) from /etc/init.d/ntp
  if [ -e /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp ]; then
          NTPD_OPTS="$NTPD_OPTS -c /var/lib/ntp/ntp.conf.dhcp"
  fi

So you either have to comment that out or arrange it so that file doesn't get
created.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.