gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘git broken?

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘git broken?
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 13:35:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2016, Gary E. Miller wrote:

> Yo All!
>
> I'm having trouble pulling git, same thing on 2 different machines:
>
> gpsd # git pull
> Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/id_rsa':
> X11 forwarding request failed
> remote: Counting objects: 144, done.
> remote: fatal: unable to create thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
> error: git upload-pack: git-pack-objects died with error.
> fatal: git upload-pack: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the
> remote side.
> remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
> fatal: protocol error: bad pack header
>
> Anyone else seeing this??

Yep:

MacPro:gpsd fw$ git fetch -v main
Looking up git.sv.gnu.org ... done.
Connecting to git.sv.gnu.org (port 9418) ... 208.118.235.72 done.
remote: Counting objects: 29, done.
remote: fatal: unable to create thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
remote: aborting due to possible repository corruption on the remote side.
fatal: protocol error: bad pack header

Looks like something needs to be fixed on Savannah.  Based on the first
error, it may just need a reboot; I suspect the "corruption" is just an
artifact.

BTW, "pull" is just "fetch" + "merge" (albeit with slightly different
syntax), so "fetch" is a simpler test case.  Also, "fetch" is always safe,
regardless of your current working state.

Fred Wright