gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Lots of warnings

From: Frank Nicholas
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Lots of warnings
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 23:22:32 -0400

On Aug 11, 2016, at 10:50 PM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

Yo Frank!

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 22:40:02 -0400
Frank Nicholas <address@hidden> wrote:

On Aug 11, 2016, at 9:13 PM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

Yo Greg!

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 20:30:34 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

I would recommend casting to int64_t and using PRId64.

I'll play with it, but until we can insist on POSIX 2008 I'm
reluctant.

For example, it is not present in macports, which I use to compile
gpsd on OS X.

I can’t check this for a day or so, but have you tried Apple’s
official developer tools?  They are free as a part of Xcode, and
that’s what I’ve always successfully used for any open source
projects.

Yes, inttypes.h is in Xcode.  Sadly, my xcode is broken right now and
I'm pulling my hair out about it...

xcode-select -p  # says xcode is insalled fine
xcode-select --install  # says my xcode is broken
xcode-select -r  # says it reset my xcode to default
xcode-select -p  # says xcode is insalled fine
xcode-select --install  # says my xcode is broken

Around and around in circles....

I much prefer the familiarity, standards compliance and stability of
MacPorts.  I want my command line to work the same on Linux, OS X and
Windows.

But until 'xcode-select --install' works for me MacPorts barfs…

If MacPorts is barfing for you, how are you testing/compiling on OS X at all, or are you at a stand still on OS X?

I have never had any instability with Xcode or the command line utilities.  I’m not doubting your issue - just sharing my experience.

My limited experience with MacPorts has been the opposite - not like Linux (Gentoo) & not close to the standard OS X tools (form Xcode).  It was never exactly “stable” in my use.  I always had to mess with it, even more than Gentoo installations.

I’m assuming you are on either Mavericks or El’Capitan.  For the past at least few (several?) versions/years, the standard path for the Xcode command line tools (not MacPorts) has been “/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer”.  If yours is anything different, then you probably have old versions or settings causing an issue.