gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] several messages

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] several messages
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 16:53:22 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 19:41:01 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> It appears that the "officially recommended" way to get a
> >> C99-compliant compiler is to invoke it as 'c99', rather than as
> >> 'cc' (or 'gcc').
> >
> > Not that I can see.  The official way, the C99 specified way, is to
> > declare this define: _ISOC99_SOURCE
> >
> > Since gpsd requires C99 compliance, annd that is part of the C99
> > standard, I'm gonna add it to the Sonstruct right now.
>
> The other thing that works with gcc and clang is to add --std=c99.  I
> am not sure if that is duplicative with the define you mentioned, but
> it seems to be the normal way to tell the compiler to disable gcc
> extensions and to follow the C99 standard as strictly as it can.

At this point I'm more worried about libc as it applies to gpsd.  AFAIK
our C99 problems are libc related.

I just found that turning on C99 breaks gpsd.  It turns out gpsd uses
many functions, like usleep(), daemon(), that are deprecated in C99!

Several of these new C99 warnings match up with warnings I get on OS X,
so worth fixing.

Patches in progress....

RGDS
GARY