gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] alloca

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] alloca
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 17:28:15 -0700

Yo Hal!

> > When the current mess winds down, somebody who understands that
> > stuff should write up a web page on how to write clean, portable
> > code.
>
> Sadly, I have just been reading FreeBSD notes from their devs claiming
> it is just not possible in FreeBSD.  I relearning why I hate FreeBSD.

The smoking gun is in <sys/cdefs.h>.  Near the bottom.  It is NOT
possible to ask for ANY level of standards (XOPEN, POSIX, C) and still
get the BSD functions.

Mutually exclusive.

All other OS let you get BSD and XOPEN/POSIX/C, but only FreeBSD says their
way or bust.  Even NetBSD and others let you have BSD + XOPEN + POSIX

I gotta think about this one overnight.  Makes me want to rip out
every BSD function there is.

Unless there is a handy #ifdef I can use to detect FreeBSD OS before
including any header files.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588