gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Repository move to gitlab may be pending

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Repository move to gitlab may be pending
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 15:46:54 -0400

Sometime between Aug 26 and yesterday (Aug 30) something got broken at
Savannah, the GNU hosting site where the GPSD repository lives.  I can
no longer either push to it nor clone with developer access.  Anonymous
cloning still works, so my conjecture is that part of their database
representing project roles has been damaged.

I have filed a bug at Savannah, but am not optimistic that this will
be fixed.  The site is understaffed and the software is aged and
crumbling.  My plan yesterday was to give the Savannah staff 24 hours
to respond and if no response were forthcoming to move the repo to
GitLab, but I have realized that without some notice to the dev list
this might result in confusion.

Therefore I'll give it a day or two more.  Expect notice that either
the problem has been resolved and we are remaining on Savannah or the
repository is now on gitlab.com. If the latter, be prepared to
re-clone; I expect to fix some recent comment typos and old hashes
would become invalid.