gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Inline patches (was: Re: Five More patches)

From: Paul Fertser
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Inline patches (was: Re: Five More patches)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 22:34:56 +0300

Hi Fred,

On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 11:50:12AM -0700, Fred Wright wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Sep 2016, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > Somewhere in the process when you put patches in the body of an email
> > that lines were split.  When they are attachaments that does not happen.
> >
> > Trying to put the lines back together so the patch appplies is a PITA.
>
> OK, I found an example of line wrap in the archives, and also confirmed
> that there was no line wrap in the copy CCed to myself, so it appears to
> be a listserver issue.

Using
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gpsd-dev/2016-09/msg00048.html as
an example, the message I got had

-usage: xgps [-D level] [-hV?] [-l degmfmt] [-u units] [server[:port[:device]]]
+usage: xgps [-D level] [-hV?] [-l degmfmt] [-u units] [-r rotation]
[server[:port[:device]]]

the archive has

-usage: xgps [-D level] [-hV?] [-l degmfmt] [-u units] [server[:port[:device]]]
+usage: xgps [-D level] [-hV?] [-l degmfmt] [-u units] [-r rotation]
[server[:port[:device]]]

But if you download from ftp://lists.gnu.org/gpsd-dev/2016-09 you'll
see that the message is fine, and the archives are fine too, it's just
the way HTML gets generated for web view.

So inline patches are perfectly fine, every subscribed person should
be able to apply them without any problems, those unsubscribed can
download the archive mailbox format and then proceed with applying as
well. For easier tracking of pending patches a system like Patchwork
can be configured.

mailto:address@hidden