gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] python trouble

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] python trouble
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 17:26:59 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 21 Nov 2016, folkert wrote:

> Am having trouble using the python library to get gps status.
>
> dev = gps.gps('localhost', "2947")
> dev.stream(gps.WATCH_ENABLE | gps.WATCH_NEWSTYLE)
>
> Now dev.fix.time is sometimes 1479721697.0 and sometimes something like
> 2016-11-21T09:43:14.000Z.

Could you provide more information on how to reproduce that?  I did a
quick check with contrib/gpsData.py and never saw numeric times show up,
including after patching it to include the NEWSTYLE option.

> Then there is the dev.status: while gpsmon shows me there's a fix,
> dev.status is always 0 which I think means no-fix.

What you want is 'mode'.  The 'status' item is only optionally present,
and only serves to indicate whether DGPS was used.

Fred Wright