gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Python Shebang Lines

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Python Shebang Lines
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 14:39:15 -0800

Yo Fred!

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 14:14:38 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> At one point, Eric said that he thought that it was rare for people to
> have multiple Python versions installed, but I think that's likely to
> become a lot less true with the advent of Python 3.

Gentoo by default installs Python 2 and Python 2.  The eselect commmand
the configures which one /usr/bin/python goes to.

> Python 3 is
> sufficiently incompatible with Python 2 that it will probably be quite
> some time before it's reasonable to have *only* Python 3 installed.

OTOH, gpsd should not care at all which is the running Python.  ntpsec
has no issuses with that.

> For shebang purposes, this gets expanded a bit, to handle both
> absolute and PATH-relative values appropriately:

All of ntpsec does this:

#!/usr/bin/env python

It runs on everything we have tried it on.  gpsd should do the same.

RGDS                                              Veritas liberabit vos
GARY                                                  Quid est veritas?
address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588