gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Python Shebang Lines

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Python Shebang Lines
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:54:55 -0800

Yo Fred!

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 15:49:44 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Dec 2016, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>
> > Fred Wright <address@hidden>:
> > > I wanted to post this here to make sure nobody screams before
> > > pushing the change to the main repo.
> >
> > I consider this approach overcomplicated and brittle.
> >
> > It's better, and easier, to write your Python so that it adapts to
> > whatever interpreter it sees.
>
> Will you please read what I wrote, explaining why "adapts" is not
> possible.  When the Python it's running with lacks the libraries it
> needs, how is it supposed to "adapt"?

No, I'll not, it is certainly possible.  I assert adapts is not adviseable,
or ever required.

> If anything is "brittle", it's *not* binding the program at install
> time to the Python that has the libraries.

100% agreed.  And the shebang that ntpsec uses, shown in my first post,
does not do so.

RGDS                                              Veritas liberabit vos
GARY                                                      Quid est veritas?
address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588