gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Python Shebang Lines

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Python Shebang Lines
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 13:48:02 +0800

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
I'd like to reraise the issue of shebang lines in Python programs.  To
review, the problem is as follows:

Let me try and phrase what I understand from Fred's email.

I shall ignore python3 for creating a simple test case.

Assume, at build and install time, the python version in use (by Scons, etc) is 2.7.  Then, the libraries are installed to /usr/lib/python2.7

I have there:

address@hidden:/usr/lib/python2.7# ls */*gps* | cat
dist-packages/gps-3.10~dev.egg-info
dist-packages/gps-3.11~dev.egg-info
dist-packages/gps-3.15~dev.egg-info
dist-packages/gps-3.15.egg-info
dist-packages/gps-3.16-dev.egg-info
dist-packages/gps-3.17~dev.egg-info

dist-packages/gps:
clienthelpers.so
client.py
fake.py
gps.py
__init__.py
misc.py
packet.so

If, at run time, python 2.8 is being used, these will not be found.  The runtime interpreter will look for files in /usr/lib/python2.8.

Fred, am I right so far?

This has nothing to do with the python2 vs python3 issue.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane