gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, update

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. release-3.16-528-gbdcabc3
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 18:28:39 -0800

Yo Fred!

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 18:16:10 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > The better approach would be to fix xgps.  Many new distros do
> > not ship any Python 2 so this is not acceptable for a release.
>
> Huh?  All this does is change the default setting of target_python to
> use the system default Python instead of the SCons Python.  It's
> better in general to default to the system default Python; it's just
> that using the SCons Python as the default is especially guaranteed
> to fail when the default is Python 3.

You're right, system Python needs to be the default.  I need to look at
this some more.  But I'm on the road until next week.

> Any system that lacks Python 2 is completely incapable of building
> GPSD, since SCons requires Python 2.

Ouch.  Looking at Gentoo I see you are right.  Which means gpsd can not
build on newert distros.  If they are not going to fix that soon then
we'll have to ditch SCons.

RGDS                                                 Veritas liberabit vos
GARY                                                     Quid est veritas?
address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588