gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, update

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. release-3.16-528-gbdcabc3
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 18:43:35 -0800

Yo Fred!

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 18:39:00 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Dec 2016, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 18:16:10 -0800 (PST)
> > Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > > Any system that lacks Python 2 is completely incapable of building
> > > GPSD, since SCons requires Python 2.
> >
> > Ouch.  Looking at Gentoo I see you are right.  Which means gpsd can
> > not build on newert distros.  If they are not going to fix that
> > soon then we'll have to ditch SCons.
>
> Not necessarily.  It just means that the SCons package needs a
> dependency on some Python 2 package (probably 2.7).  SCons itself is
> almost certainly installed from a package, rather than being bundled
> with the base distro.

Yes, and on a distro that has no Python 2 that is a non-starter.

('ll look into this next eek.

> A similar thing would have been needed for GPSD, until Eric and I
> fixed it for Python 3. :-)

I doubt we can get Eric to fix SCons.

RGDS                                                 Veritas liberabit vos
GARY                                                     Quid est veritas?
address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588