gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsctl via gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsctl via gpsd
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 11:42:47 -0700

Yo hossein!

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 16:12:48 +0330
hossein vz <address@hidden> wrote:

> i have connected a GPS to raspberry pi and installed gpsd afterwards.
> by default the gps is sending nmea messages

OK.

> i am able to change it to binary protocol using
> gpsctl -f -n /dev/ttyAMA0

Yup.  But why bother?  The lat/lon/time is still the same.

> how am i able to do this via gpsd service?  so that when PI is powered
> on this there be no need to o this manually?

I assume you mean you are running under systemd?  You negelected to
mention the OS, distro and versions you are using.  So hard to give specific
advice.

gpsctl will work whether gpsd is running or not.  So you can just get that
by any means at startup.  For example, and gentoo, I put startup stuff
in /etc/local.d/baselayout.start

But, why bother?  The GPS output, whether NEMA or binary is still
the same data.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588