gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Off-topic but...

From: Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Off-topic but...
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 13:34:17 -0600

Yo, Gary!

Yeah, I'm familiar with the standard geodetic hardware, especially the old stuff. In fact, I'm looking at an old Ashtech right now. Javad at least used to be a solid innovator; Trimble's preamps were known to introduce their own interference when I started playing with 'em because of too much gain right at the antenna!

I'm more interested in modules and chip sets. I've found one site with several to choose from, but figured this group of experts might have already played with some of 'em if they existed.

What I want to do is be able to use carrier phase differentials for scintillation and water vapor (wet-delay) estimation. Of course, timing will just fall out without much work, too.

Thanks!
gerry

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 1:25 PM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Gerry!

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 12:53:01 -0600
Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is the most likely place I could think of to ask.

Seems on topic to me.

> For a HamSci project, I'm interested in multi-frequency (L1/L2c/L5)
> chipsets. While 3-freq's would be ideal, 2-freqs should work OK.

How big is your budget?  L2 gets expensive, L5 is rare air.

Just an L1/L2 antenna costs way more ($100+) than most good L1 GPS
($15+).

A used Trimble is popular with hams.  Look on ebay for $2,500 and up,
way up.

Just search for 'gps l1 l2' on ebay.

Trimble also sells modules, as does Javad.

If you got $10k to spare you look at Javad (javad.com).

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588

Gerry Creager