gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] writing commands to the gps

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] writing commands to the gps
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 11:28:56 -0700

Yo Felipe!

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 16:36:55 +0200
Felipe Gutierrez <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am using a C program [1] with gpsd library to get data from my gps
> device. It is working very well.

Cool.

> Now I want to read data directly from the serial port and get the
> result from the gps device.

You are on your own for that.

> Just to test and see the difference in
> time of sending a command to the serial port and reading from that
> serial port.

Makes sense.

> I wrote this simple program [2] but I do not know where
> to find the commands to send to the gps. Could anyone point to me a
> link to find it? Or how to write properly these commands?

The whole point of gpsd is that figuring out what to send when to any
particular GPS receiver is a big problem.

First you need to find out what GPS you have.

Second look in the driver file for that GPS for what gpsd sends to configure
your GPS.

Or, turn up gpsd debugging and watch wht gpsd sends to your gpsd.

Depending on your GPS, and initital conditions, this may be really
easy or really hard.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588