gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, update

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. release-3.17-356-ga7dadab
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 19:03:41 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 18:54:10 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> > They whole point of the -V and -h is to give scons an easy way to
> > verify that the module dependencies are satified!  Do not break it
> > again.
>
> And I added another check that handles that.

No, you did not, as shown below.  It would have missed many of the bugs
the -V found.  So it breaks my new regression tests.

>  As noted, it includes
> the imports that fail if the prerequisites are missing, without
> including the imports that require an X11 connection.

Translation: partial, not full, replacement, while adding unneccessary
complexity, for worse coverage.

> Having "scons check" launch an X11 server and/or fail if DISPLAY
> isn't set appropriately is unacceptable.

Odd that I do not have that problem.  I tested on over a dozen hosts
of wildly different configurations.  If you do, lets find a real fix
that is not a regression.

Maybe a simple check for $DISPLAY and exit if unset?  That woulda saved
you code.

> I'm sure Bernd's Travis
> checks would have failed as soon as you introduced that if they
> hadn't stopped updating two months ago.

Dunno anything about that.  Do you know who can fix that?

> > This new check found a ton of bugs.
>
> Quite likely so, but none that my better-behaved check wouldn't have
> found.

Easy to say since you did not see my results.  But not true.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588