gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘3.18 release soon

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘3.18 release soon
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 16:31:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018, Gary E. Miller wrote:
On Sun, 30 Sep 2018 16:07:33 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

JSON is sufficiently flexible that compatibility can be maintained,
without necessarily resorting to version checks, as long as the code
is aware of the issues.

I expected te Python client to be as well behaved as the C client.  A
bad assumption.

I hacked a fix for xgps and xgpsspeed version issues.  And added version
checks to cgps.  A real fix would require making the Python client
library as smart as the C client library.

Check it out.

I'm not convinced that something which should be completely normal merits warnings, but at least it works now.

Along the way, I see there is no way for the C clients to see the
expected API versions.  Something else to fix in 3.19~dev.

Any other release blockers?

Currently the "ubxtool -V" in python-versions makes pyserial a mandatory dependency, which is a departure from the long-standing policy where "basic" GPSD has no dependencies beyond C, Python, and SCons. I started a fix for that, but won't have time to do any more with it until tomorrow.

Since macOS 10.14 "Mojave" was just released, I can also include that in testing, assuming there are no issues setting up a VM for it. I already have VMs for 10.5-10.13 (as well as Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD).

Fred Wright