gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Developing for gpsd, Testing, and gpsfake

From: Jiwon Joung
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Developing for gpsd, Testing, and gpsfake
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 18:01:23 -0400

Hello Eric,
That makes sense -- thank you for your email. One more question, after running 'gpsfake -p -P 6666 test/sample.aivdm' in one terminal and 'cgps :6666' in another terminal, the cgps output is
image.png
How can I get the fields in the table at the top to reflect real data?

-- Jiwon

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 5:12 PM Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Jiwon Joung <address@hidden>:
> There are log files in the gpsd/test directory that I can feed to gpsfake.
> The different logfiles seem to output different lines when run with gpsfake
> -p. Why is the output different and are they even compatible with gpsfake?

The key thing to know is that gpsfake is a way to feed a test log to a
gpsd instance and see what it spits back out - normally JSON sentences.

The logfiles in the testr directory are indeed meant to be fed to
gpsfake. Exect different ones to give back different JSON.

Fpr each .log file there is a ,chk that is the exoected JSON output.
We test the software by checking that all the outputs are as expected.