gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD for AOSP

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD for AOSP
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 18:13:39 -0700

Yo ABOU!

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 17:00:54 +0200
ABOU ZID Ahmed <address@hidden> wrote:

> What I would like to do, is to use GPSD to read GPS localisation

What do you mean by "GPS localization'?  gpsd only read from GPS
devices, directly or indirectly.

> and
> make a custom HAL that will connect to GPSD in Socket. And then, this
> HAL will forward information to Applications.

Once you say 'HAL', you are into an area I know nothing of...

Except I though HAL meant hardware Abstraction Layer, and no hardware
in sight.

And why not have the app directly connect to gpsd?

> For that, first of all, I just need to compile GPSD for Android and
> then customise my HAL to get GPS data from GPSD.

I doubt that is all.  Where will gpsd get its data from?  Why not use
the AOSP location API?

> That’s why I was asking for a GPSD in AOSP, that would be very great
> for my use case.

We do not know of such a thing.  If you write that, or find that, send
us the code.  We can give you help, but we have no expertise in AOSP
here.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588