gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD for AOSP

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] GPSD for AOSP
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:52:33 -0700

Yo ABOU!

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 12:42:39 +0200
ABOU ZID Ahmed <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like to use GPSD deamon to read on /dev/ttyUSBX (ttyUSBX
> represents my USB GPS)

Makes sense.  I assume you already have the /dev/ttyUSBx?

> Here it’s what I’m using for my own Android GPS HAL :
> https://github.com/kconger/android-serial-gps-driver I would like to
> replace this code by a connection with GPSD deamon on TCP socket
> instead. In summary, I would like to abstract the device connection
> with GPSD.

If you already know how to cross compile that code, then cross-compiling
gpsd should be very similar.

Or you could just make a small btch file to do the compile for you.

> I know that GPSD is forwarding GPSD data (latitude, longitude,
> bearing, timestamp etc...) to clients.

Yup.

> I don’t know if you understand correctly what I would like to do.

I'm sure I do not.

> It’s very simple but just need GPSd running on Android that’s all.

Except gpsd is not simple.  It is a daemon, and many clients of
various types.  Do you just need the daemon?  Or do you need one
of the clients?  Or write your own client?

> For that I just need to adapt the makefile for Android.

Except gpsd does not use a Makefile.  gpsd uses scons.  scons already
has the ability to cross-compile.  Getting cross-compiles to work always
takes some black magic.

> But yeah, as
> sconst is not that clear... I don’t understand which .c file are you
> compiling only for GPSD (deamon).

Easy.  Just build gpsd natively for a host, and watch what scons
does:
        scons --config=force && scons

> So if someone can help me doing that, it would be great!

I'm trying to help.  Do the above, look at the results, and someone
here will answer your questions.  Since you are the only one here that
knows how to cross-compile for AOSP then you have to do that part.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588